Category: SQL

Getting SQL information from SCOM discovered inventory

SCOM, SQL, System Center, SCOM Tricks, SCOM 2012 Send feedback »
I often get questions for getting SQL info together, such as names, instances, versions, editions and so on for all kinds of purposes. Sometimes as inventory, sometimes to find instances no longer supported, rogue instances, needed for licensing info an… more »

SQL File Disk Performance Management Pack for SCOM

SCOM, SQL, System Center, SCOM 2012 Send feedback »
Purpose This management pack brings together I/O statistics for SQL data files and log files directly from the SQL virtual file stats view into SCOM where you can report on these for any period of time. It can collect data from SQL 2005, 2008 and 201… more »

New SQL management pack released

SCOM, SQL, System Center, Active Directory, SCOM 2012 Send feedback »
Yesterday a new version of the SQL management pack for SCOM was released. Yes we are now on a roll with releasing new stuff! The fresh version of the SQL mp is now The new version supports also monitoring of SQL 2012 now and will work for SC… more »

ReportServer application pool stopped with unspecified error and keeps crashing giving 1057 and 1059 errors

SCOM, SQL, Active Directory Send feedback »
Today ran into a SCOM Report Server that would not load correctly on a Windows 2003 with SQL 2005 version. This also gives an error in SCOM console as follows: Data Warehouse failed to request a list of management packs from SQL RS server.. And in t… more »

SCOM Web Console Error 404 and Unexpected error

SCOM, SQL Send feedback »
This is an old one as well, but we still see it happening (including in my case). Actually these are two cases. First had an 404 error when I opened the SCOM Web Console for the first time. Well this links back directly to my previous post where the… more »

SQL 2005 Reporting Services http error 404

SCOM, SQL, Active Directory Send feedback »
Had a small issue with SQL 2005 Reporting Services on Windows 2003 R2 in a quick quick test environment I was setting up for SCOM. When trying to open http://servername/reports I got an error "HTTP Error 404 - File or Directory not found". I knew I had… more »

Remotely testing SQL connections

SQL, System Center 1 feedback »
One nice gem from Steve Rachui's blog is a trick on how to simply troubleshoot remote SQL connections. Just create an empty txt file anywhere on the disk and give it an UDL extension and click it. You will see a tool popping up with several tabs. on t… more »

SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 4 is RTM

SQL Send feedback »
SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 4 has just been released a few days ago. You can download files here: The SQL 2005 SP4 Readme file Download SQLServer2005SP4-KB2463332-x64-ENU.exe for X64 Download SQLServer2005SP4-KB2463332-x86-ENU.exe for X86 Downloa… more »

SCOM reports on performance counters for large groups of servers

SCOM, SQL 5 feedbacks »
I get asked a lot for performance reporting for large groups of servers (with changing memberships). The problem that people face with this is that it usually involves an initial very big list of machines and it takes a lot of time to build this. Also if… more »

SQL 2008 Best Practises Analyzer available

SQL Send feedback »
The SQL 2008 R2 Best Practises Analyzer (BPA) has been released and can be downloaded follwing this link: This BPA works with both SQL 20… more »
Contact / Help. ©2014 by Bob Cornelissen. multiple blogs.
Design & icons by N.Design Studio. Skin by Tender Feelings / Evofactory.